Re: Thin wire for secondaries, was form material

Hi Ralph,
Kapton tape is the stuff they use in winding high quality high voltage
transformers and inverter transformers. It has excellent high frequency and
high voltage properties and is very expensive. A capacitor made with this
stuff would be much smaller than one made with LDPE with the same voltage
and capacitance rating (Yes it is available in sheets). For more info check
out:
http://www.dupont-dot-com/corp/markets/aerospace/products/kapton.html

The tesla coil I was referring to is your common garden variety vertical 1/4
wave system. The primary is a space wound cylinder wound with 10 AWG
stranded, PVC covered wire with an extra coating that makes it oil
resistant. Or more simply put, it's what I found lying around in the junk
pile. It is wound on a 3.2" diameter by 2" wide HDPE form from a used up
roll of kapton tape. If you look very closely at the photos, you might see a
small fragment of the orange tape that was left on the roll.

Don't worry, I can't remember a darned thing either, but printers and
floppies are great for that. You don't even have to clutter up the computers
mind with this junk :-), and as the old saying goes, there are no stupid
questions. That's what the list is here for - to learn and grow.

Cheers,
Sue

In a message dated 7/15/00 1:21:55 PM Central Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com