Re: Homemade potting?

> Original poster: "Richard Barton" <richardbarton-at-caving5.freeserve.co.uk>
>
> What about-
> Paraffin wax...... candle wax....... runny Araldite rapid.
>                                         Richard Barton

    Paraffin is cheap and easy--it also looks good-- I can tell you from
personal experience.  But it never fails to crack when it cools.  I haven't had
any problems with the components I potted ( two 15kv 6A rectifiers I made).
However, that doesn't mean I won't.  I'm hoping that they won't see too much
action as they are now used as L-diode filters.
    Instead of paraffin, I would recommend silicone, silicone, and silicone.  I
have used it for potting for the last three months on everything, and I have
zero corona or flashover on my Mot power supply and rectifiers.  It is cheap
(relatively), durable, temperature resistant, and extremely robust as an
insulator.

                --Mike