[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Coil winding direction

Hi William,

At 03:18 PM 01/12/2000 -0500, you wrote:

> [...]

What size (value) of primary cap are you using and what voltage is the gap
firing at.  This determines how many joules of energy is going into each
firing which is a very good indicator of how much power is going into the
arcs.  Typically a car ignition coil power supply will power a coil that
will have to fire maybe once a second.  The ignition coil will not supply
enough power to fire much faster.  Hard to say much here.  If you could
describe you system more, we could say more...

>My design sort of allows for me to rewind my primary in the
>same direction as the secondary however I do not want
>to do this unless it will remedy the arc direction.  It
>may not look as pretty when I am all done.

Winding direction does not mater at all.  However, if your coil is DC
powered, you want the top terminal to be negative.  Negative potentials are
far more likely to arc than positive potentials.  Simply reverse the wires
on the primary coil to test if this gives better arcs.

>Does anyone know the answer to this.  Is it the opposite
>windings of the two coils?  or Is it the fact that I am
>under powering it? or maybe something else?

Sounds underpowered, miss tuned, or some other things may be going on.
Tell us MUCH more about the coil...

Cheers,

	Terry