[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: grounding

In a message dated 1/9/00 2:29:07 AM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original Poster: ross andrews <sflourine-at-home-dot-com>
>

>   Hi all,
>
>   I'm in the process of finishing up my first coil, and I have come to
>  the RF ground part.  I had intended to use a copper grounding rod, but
>  Mom doesn't like the idea of a copper strap detracting from her flower
>  garden, so Dad suggested I use the cold water line coming into the
>  house.  What has me confused is that some coilers on the 'net do indeed
>  use a water pipe as a ground, yet some directions I downloaded say
>  specifically "DON'T USE A COLD WATER LINE".  What gives?
>
>   Thanks!
>
>   Ross

Ross,

A cold water pipe can be used for a small coil.  I would say up to 15 kv at
60 ma.  Be sure to connect to the pipe just before it goes into the ground.
This would be the cold water feed line coming into the house.  Be advised
that some problems may result.  When my small coil is running, using a 12 kv
60 ma transformer, I can draw sparks off the two copper ground rods!  This
means someone in the house may be able to draw sparks off of a kitchen
faucet.  You may also experience problems with unwanted RF noise feeding back
into the house mains since the breaker box is grounded to the cold water
line.  I have heard several folks say they use the water pipe for small
coils, I still prefer separate ground rods.

Ed Sonderman