[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla magnifying transmitter

On Sat, 08 Jan 2000 12:32:09 -0700, Tesla List wrote:

>  Original Poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux-at-jpl.nasa.gov>
>
>  I think the breakdown field for air is pretty constant (at a given temp
and
>  pressure, etc.) however what is very tricky to model is the actual
voltage
>  and charge at the end of the leader, so what is not all that reliable is
>  the actual field (in Volts/meter).
>
>  That said, there is a wealth of empirical data on long HV sparks for all
>  sorts of electrode configurations in all sorts of environments. And,
there
>  are "rough and ready" approximate theories that fit the data (even if
they
>  don't describe what is actually happening) to allow some sort of
reasonable
>  guess to be made about what will happen. As long as you are happy with
10%
>  accuracy, life is good.
>
>  Books like Craggs and Meek, and more recently, Bazelyan and Raizer,
provide
>  a fairly good handle on this.
Could the title and publisher of the Bazelyan and Raizer book be repeated. I
accidently deleted that entry from mail.

Also Nick states:
   The minimum voltage is not 3kV/cm or some similar brown
>  commonly
>  > used fertiliser.  The calculation, when done as a field calculation, is
>  > quite simple but not too reliable as the breakdown field gradient of
air
>  is
>  > very variable.
>  >
>  > Regards
>  > Nick Field
I have recently produced rapid , high voltage,high frequency  violet
discharges of 5 mm length  to an intervening small insulated water capacity
from  a sort of resonant rise of voltage principle obtained from large
inductance coils at 60 hz resonance and  wall voltage. My  amperage draw to
the device was about 130 ma, but the q of the coil system is only around 30,
supplying only a 3 to 4 thousand volt unobvious, or resonantly choked,
potential to the process. To enable the higher voltages to be shown I
employed a  series triple arc gap  with the large discharge in the middle
shunted by a capacity to enable breakover or short discharges to develope by
the rapid charging and discharging of that capacity. Is it safe to assume
that this miniature lightening effect is  only around 1500 volts, given the
5mm length
and the quoted 3 kv/cm arc over discharge value or breakdown voltage.
Thanx for any info
Harvey D Norris

Binary Resonant System
http://www.insidetheweb-dot-com/mbs.cgi/mb124201

Visit Excite Shopping at http://shopping.excite-dot-com
 The fastest way to find your Holiday gift this season