[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: What is Kickback?

Hey now...!

As a newcomer to the field of coiling (no pun intended)...

Basically the thing known as kickback or inductive kick, is the effect which
occurs in an inductive circuit when the power is switched "off" abruptly.
This is because an inductor stores electromagnetic energy in its field in
the form of flux.  Since electromagnetic power generation is prescribed as a
voltage occurring when X number of lines of flux cut across a conductor on Y
amount of time...  The inductive kick occurs when the power is cut abruptly
and the coil field collapses.  As the invisible lines of flux jump back
through the coil windings they induce a brief voltage spike on the winding.
If left to its own devices- the effects of the kick are undesirable and
possibly destructive.

Joel Hinchman