[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: DC Controlled Reactance Choke

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: DC Controlled Reactance Choke
> Date: 06 January 2000 19:27
>
> Original Poster: "Dr. Resonance" <Dr.Resonance-at-next-wave-dot-net>
>

> This concept works very well.  We use it in our reactors for higher
powered
> coil systems.  Using a gapped core E-I reactor you wind approx 150 turns
> around the center of the E lamination and then wind your normal reactor
> windings over this.  By running approx 75-100 VDC at 3-5 amps through the
> center winding you have complete control over the reactor's performance.
>
> Dr. Resonance

Hi Doc,all
	Any figures for number of turns wanted per VA? Dont think that is
grammatically correct, but never mind. I have several cores from old 3
phase chokes. The center leg area is about 2" x 3" with a window about 2" x
3". I have been thinking about this idea for a while but haven't got round
to working out the design details. As I have a ready supply of old welder
transformers I thought it might be worth the time to come up with some
basic design parameters as this seems a good way of controlling pigs. It
would look great if the DC control voltage came from a mercury arc
rectifier.

cheers
bob golding