[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Wanted: LV Connector

Circular MS (MIL) connectors are tough, albeit pricey if new (although Apex
electronics in San Fernando has bunches of them surplus). The other
possiblility is 5 pin XLR's.. They are tough, can take 250 volts legally,
and in the 5 pin configuration can handle a few amps per pin. You can also
get shielded 5 conductor cables already made up as "DMX-512" control cables
in the theatrical lighting business.

The XLR's will set you back about $6 each, the MS about $20.
There are also the AMP Circular Plastic Connectors, which are inexpensive,
but high quality versions of the MIL circular connectors. The only problem
I have had with the AMP CPC's is that the shells break if they get dropped
from a great height (like 20 feet), or stepped on or run over by somebody
on stage.  The tooling to assemble them is much cheaper, though.

For real low voltages (<50) and currents, modular phone plugs are nice...
Sure, they aren't the most durable in the world, but they are cheap and
easy to install.