[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Full Wave Voltage Doubler with MOTs

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2000 13:04
Subject: Re: Full Wave Voltage Doubler with MOTs

Marco,

> I didn't have time to simulate your circuit, but it looks a great idea to
> me. Good! You can achieve real DC (not pulsed) also with my solution, but
you
> have to invert the phase of one of the MOTs and you get only half of the
> voltage (i.e. 5 kV).

I learned that my setup, where the transformer cores are left floating (=not
grounded) is not good.

David Dean contacted me off list and suggested it be done like this:

0------||------*------|<--------* (-)
               |                |
MOT    C1     _V_D1   D2        C2
               |                |
O--------------*----------------* (GRD) note that this is both
               |                |       MOT cores at RF GRD
MOT   C3      _V_D3   D4        C4

D1, D2, D3, D4 MWOven Diodes
C1, C3 MWOven caps
C2,C4 2 MWOven caps in series
4 diodes + 6 caps + 2 MOTs = 10KVDC 1/2 Wave Rectified Filtered

This approach adds the parts count, because now C2 and C4 see 4kv which
they're not rated for, and you have to use two MW oven caps in series.

Tero