[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla magnifier

Thomas Gstrein wrote:

> Hello. Can anyone explain me, what a Tesla magnifier is? In the list I
> read the word quite often. What is it? What is it good for?

It is a device similar to a Tesla coil, but with an extra coil added
between the top of the secondary and the high-voltage terminal.
This configuration can be more efficient than a conventional coil,
and is used in most of the high-power devices based in resonant
systems built today.
One reason for the efficiency is that a third coil with somewhat less
self-capacitance than the secondary of a conventional coil can be used,
concentrating more energy at the terminal. Another, more important,
is that faster energy transfers can be obtained without the conflict
between high coupling (required for fast transfer) and high voltage
difference between the coils of the transformer that appears in
two-coil systems.
The construction, specially in large systems, is also convenient,
because the relatively low-voltage parts can be mounted at a safe
distance from the high-voltage third coil and terminal assembly.
The optimum design of a magnifier system may require an additional
capacitance between the secondary and the third coil. You can find
the schematic diagram and design formulas at:
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/magnifier.html

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz