[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

DC Controlled Reactance Choke

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to learn how to work with neon (mostly because of what I have
learned here), and even though this is off topic, I need some help and I
hope you'll oblige.

I'm trying to use my pole pig as a bombarder transformer, and I know I can
use my arc welder as a choke, but the neon folks have a device called a DC
Controlled Reactance Choke.  From what I can tell, it is a very heavy duty
conventional choke with a separate winding which is fed a small amount of
dc current.  This apparently defeats the action of the choke allowing the
use of a 10a variac to control a 25kva transformer/choke assy.  I would
think this would be handy technology for tesla coils too, but I don't know
enough to implement it without the advice of some of you 'experts'.

I have a gif of a wiring diagram (I didn't want to hog bandwidth by
including it here), but it doesn't describe the inner workings of the choke.

Any comments?

Please?

David Christal

<<< If the replies don't have anything to do with Tesla coiling, please
answer David directly. - Terry >>>