[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: SG questions cont'd + power factor

In a message dated 1/5/00 6:22:08 AM Central Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<< If you energize the core with 60mA of DC current and then suddenly remove
 the current source and switch a resistor (the resistor could have always
 been in the circuit if it is taken into account) across the windings.  Then
 you can watch the voltage decay through the resistance and calculate the
 inductance.  Since the resistance of the secondary is rather high, you
 would probably need around a 300 volt power supply to do this.  However, I
 "think" it would give the answer we are looking for here...

 Does this approach sound reasonable or is there some other way to measure
 this??  Any shunted transformer experts out there??

Terry and all,

Thank you. It is begining to penetrate that we do not know the secondary
inductance of a NST and
so long as we don't saturate the core, we really don't care what it is. The
DC resistance of a 15/30  I will try the L / R measurement and get back to
you probably by Monday. Can you please respond to the
LTR question: Does an LTR system mean higher than 60 Hz? If Fres is 60 Hz
using a
0.025 uF cap, XL is
120,000 Ohms and L = 312 H and all is well. Please tell me if I'm all wet!
I'll have plenty of towels ready.

Happy day,
Ralph Zekelman