[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: MOTs...exploring the low end of TC voltage

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Gregory R. Hunter" <ghunter-at-accucomm-dot-net>
>
>  In the next few weeks I will wire up the twin MOTs with two
> half-wave voltage doublers, proper protective filtering, safety gaps, etc.,
> and have a nice 1800 Watt, 12kvdc MOT supply.  But now I know the doublers
> aren't strictly neccessary.  Starving students and other low budget coilers
> take heart.  Your Tesla coil power supply is only as far away as the
> nearest junk yard!

    Greg--good to know someone else is going in this direction.  I'm building a
power supply right now which utilizes Mots, and I fired it up last night.  I
used 6 Mots in a center-tapped configuration, with two Mots back to back in the
first stage, and four Mots, two sets with primaries and secondaries in series,
for the second.  This yields 8kv across the array, without saturation problems
in the second stage.  Both outputs were half-wave doubled using 2 sets of 10
oven capacitors in series-parallel--this produces 16kvdc at ~300 ma.  (I don't
have a meter, so I can't say for sure).  This summer I'm going to soup it up
even more by adding another set of 6 transformers and 20 capacitors to give
600ma, or even more if I knock out the shunts, sink the whole mass in parrafin,
and add current limiting.
   Obviously it's completely over the top, but I decided to milk the idea for
all it was worth.  So far it has cost me virtually $0, and far, far, far too
much time. : )
    I'll keep you updated offlist, if you're interested.
                    --Mike