[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: ignition coils

Fucian,

You can make an even simpler setup by doing away with the relay and
transformer.  Use a solid state lamp dimmer switch instead.  Just put it in
series with a 1 to 10uF motor start cap and your spark coil and run it
directly from your mains.  Adjust the dimmer control for best spark output.
 The dimmer switch is based on a semiconductor called a TRIAC, which
provides pulsed current for the spark coil.  The motor start cap controls
the power level.  A bigger cap = more power.  If your spark coil runs too
hot, use a smaller cap.

25 years ago I used a spark coil & dimmer switch power supply to excite my
first small Tesla coil.  It worked pretty well.

Best Regards

Greg Hunter
Cochran, Georgia