[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Power Factor Capacitor -- Was -- RE: schematics...Adam Smith's

Hi,

> Actually, I've been told that Aluminum Electrolytic will work for a 120VAC
> PFC cap.

For giving the start current for a motor maybe, but to match a
transformer!? Definitelty not advisable.

> And to head off criticism that Aluminum electrolytic caps shouldn't be
> used in an AC circuit, I was told by an Electrical Engineer
> He said that electrolytics can take the AC, just not a constant negative
> DC bias.

Have you sometime tried placing a electrolytic cap to your audio line in
input of the soundcard (or scope), and then record a bit?
You'll get only one part of the signal, the other half is clipped away.

The same thing would happen with an elko. One half cycle the cap matches
out the NST and there's no phase shift, on the other cycle the mains will
see just the NST and the ~90deg phase shift.

But... hmm.. maybe it'd be possible to use two caps in parallel
connected with the polarities in opposite?

--
 Jan Florian Wagner
 http://www.hut.fi/~jwagner