[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Secondary is throwing small streamers off the top two wraps - help?

> Original Poster: "William Parn" <parn-at-fgm-dot-com>

Hi Bill,

John is right. The toroid should be moved down until the arcs are gone.
It easy to short turns on a close-wound coil if the arcing continues.
BTW, when a short like this occurs, it burns the shorted turn including
the coating ruining a "pretty" secondary. Easy to fix however. Another
alternative is to add a corona ring about an inch above the secondary
which is basically a skinny little toroid or conductive tubing. hmmm,
here you go, take a look at one of Robert Stephens coils showing a
corona ring. You can see the corona ring just above the top creapage
disk.
 http://www.geocities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/3108/mtc-a1.html

I'm not sure of your coil specs and maybe your system is not a high
powered coil. In that case, it would probably be best to just drop the
toroid you have now closer to the top of the secondary.

Bart