[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Current vs voltage in inductive balasting

Hello,

Now I should say that this is armchare stuff for me at this time, but is
relevant to future work. Ok, while using a PT or other non-current limited
transformer with series inductance on the primary hot line (120V), I
noticed that current increases with applied voltage, just like one would
calculate. But how would one limit a transformer to say, 300 mA,
irregardless of voltage? Is a 60 mA NST only a full 60 mA at full primary
voltage? I didn't think so. But I haven't measured it (yet). Also, when I
used ~20 mH series L, I had a primary line voltage drop of ~25-30V, is
this normal? I thought inductive ballasting was supposed to be esentially
"lossless", but what causes tha voltage drop? Hope these questions are not
to stupid.

Thanks,

David Trimmell