[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Rectifier's reverse current (was Re: NST->DC Re: CGA Monitor Flyback ???)

Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> on 23.02.2000 15:46:41

To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
cc:    (bcc: Marco Denicolai/MARTIS)
Subject:  Re: NST->DC Re: CGA Monitor Flyback ???

Original Poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux-at-jpl.nasa.gov>

-----Original Message-----
From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Date: Tuesday, February 22, 2000 12:13 PM
Subject: NST->DC Re: CGA Monitor Flyback ???

>>Original Poster: "Jan Florian Wagner" <jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi>
>>
>>Hi,
>>
>>before commenting, I'd like to ask a question along the same topic. To
>>make a DC Tesla coil using a NST, can I use HV rectifiers on the NST
>>secondary side? Or is this a bad idea with NSTs?
>
>No problem.. I do it all the time for capacitor charging, etc.  Just watch
>out if you make a bridge rectifier charging a capacitor that you are aware
>of the path for reverse current which will destroy the rectifiers.

Jim,

1. what "reverse current" did you mean?
2. Is it the one at bang time?
3. Have you got "special" solutions for protecting the diode bridge?

Also my power supply has got a rectifier bridge, to charge the cap with DC. If
the RSG impedance is comparable with the one of the wirings going to the
tank, I
noticed one thing.

At bang time, when the capacitor voltage reverses, a considerable amount of
current will flow ALSO through the tank cables and the diode bridge: at that
time, the TC primary winding is literally feeding the tank diode bridge (!). I
thought the only solution is to add a series inductance to the cables
(which is,
by the way, the usual way of doing).

Regards