[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: New tranny arrived today, need ballast advice

>> Original Poster: "Adam" <adamsmith-at-mediaone-dot-net>
>>

>> My new GE transformer arrived today, and I'd like to get some suggestions
>> on how to current-limit it for 120V/20A service, and how many VA I can
>> use this at.  The transformer is the following type:
>>
>> General Electric
>> JVW-5 "Hi-Bute 60"
>> 1500 V.A. (30 deg rise)
>> 120:1 (14,400-to-120)
>
> Original Poster: "Dr. Resonance" <Dr.Resonance-at-next-wave-dot-net>
>
> A series inductance of approx 40-50 mH will provide current limiting to
> around 30 AC Amps, 240 VAC.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dr. Resonance

? My tranny is a 14,440->120 volt potential transformer.  G.E. tech notes
indicate that this would definitely not survive 240V input.  When G.E. does
their "accelerated lifetime" test on these PTs, they put 180VAC into the
secondary, but they do it at 400Hz so as not to saturate the core.

I also don't see how you get 30 amps through 40-50mH:

    240v / (2 * pi * 60Hz * 0.04H) = 15.9 amps