[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Reducing Self Resonance In Rolled Caps

> Original Poster: "DaxisWeb user" <""-at-mail.daxis.nl>
>
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2000 Tesla List  wrote:
>> Original Poster: "Malcolm Watts" <malcolm.watts-at-wnp.ac.nz>
>>
>> Hi Ruud,
>> I think the recipe for a bullet-proof home-rolled cap is well
>> established:
>>
>>> Original Poster: "DaxisWeb user" <""-at-mail.daxis.nl>
>>> Ok, ok, I'am convinced. But it's difficult (for me) to ignore the
>>> tremendous supply off plastic for free or very cheap. Could the extended
>>> rolled cap design be improved by applying silicon to reduce creep arcing
>>> over the plates?
>>
>> Use as many caps in series as it takes to get peak volts/cap down to
>> several thousand, thoroughly impregnate them with oil and run them
>> in oil etc. etc.  Applying silicon seems to me to just be extending the
>> plastic a little further.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Malcolm
>>
> Hi Malcolm,
>
> I ment between the plates, to fill up the air as much as possible.
> Like this:
>
> Si PE PE PE PE PE PE PE PE PE Si
> Al Al Al Al Al Al Al Al Al Si Si Si
> Si PE PE PE PE PE PE PE PE PE Si
> Si Si Si Al Al Al Al Al Al Al Al Al
> Si PE PE PE PE PE PE PE PE PE Si
>
> Ruud

I think you are both talking about silicone polymers, not pure elemental
Silicon or "Si".  I see people using silicon with out the "e" a lot in this
list, and I see some potential for confusion.  Silicone refers to Silicon
based polymers (polysiloxanes) of the unit form:

    --Si--O--  Where R=alkyl group, often methyl.

-Adam
adamsmith-at-mediaone-dot-net