[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NST and GFI ?

Hi Stan,

Original Poster: "Stan" <sdarling-at-columbus.rr-dot-com>

snip

>Recently, I have been plugging the 120V for my NSTs
>into one of those $20 APC SurgeArrest strips.  It has
>a 'Site Wiring Fault' light on it. When the coil is powered
>on, the site fault light blinks.  Actually, it brightens and
>dims anywhere from all the way off to all the way on.  It
>appears the light gets brightest when the largest
>streamers are produced.

>So, do these strips look for leakage to ground for a wiring
>fault?  Or something else?  Seems like it's related to the
>GFI questions recently. Even if it's not, it's got me curious.

Hmm. I can only make a guess here. Is the strip a true GFI
or just (as the name suggests) a surge arrestor? It looks
like RF is either being back fed into the mains or that the
electronics inside (maybe even just the NE-2 lamp) are
seeing induced currents. NE-2 lamps make great E-Field
(from induced RF) detectors. However, your comment
"appears the light gets brightest when the largest streamers
are produced" would contradict this, because radiation is at
itīs peak when the coil is on the verge of breakout. (See my
post on wireless energy transmission sometime in the
beginning of 1998).

Is the ground of your strip in any way connected to the RF
ground? You only need about 60-70 volts to ionize a NE-2
bulb, so this might be quite realistic (RF being back fed),
esp. if the NE-2 is being held just below the ionization level
(like say 50V) due to the design of the SurgeArrest. The
idea behind this (putting the NE-2 on the verge of ionization)
is that the user can see *any* fluctuation in the mains
voltage.

Coiler guesses and greets from Germany,
Reinhard