[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Homemade Trasformer

 	Nick,

	Thanks, I understand now -- What I plan on doing is building my own
24kVA tranny (I couldn't leave the 240V, 100A service feeder in the
garage alone :P).  I came up with 14^2 in. when I calculated the
magnetizing current.  If my primary has 120 turns at 240v/60Hz, this
gives the flux density as 7.5E+05 lines - since the maximum flux density
of steel is, conservatively, 55 kilolines/in^2, this gives the core size
at 13.6, or 14^2.  I don't know how to calculate the maximum current
this tranny is capable of, only  that dad said i'd blow every breaker
from here to Cancun before i saturate a core like this.  [All this seems
to say that you actually can't build a 240v tranny with a smaller core
unless you use more turns on the primary -- is this right?]  For the
secondary, I plan on 6,000 turns -  for the core I'm planning on many
pieces of 1/4" barstock each covered with formvar or something suitable
and then wrapping the primary around a suitably sized bundle of these,
and the secondary over the primary.  Though I seem to recall posts to
the contrary, I, myself, see no problem in using a cylindrical core as
opposed to a toroidal or square core -- is there?

	<<sorry for the long post>>

	Any comments appreciated,

	Ross