[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: About new gap design

Hi Ralph,

   It is possible to borrow a machine tool technique for woodworking
equipment. When trying maintain accuracy on an older/worn manual machine
tool you can mount a dial indicator with a magnetic base along the
machine axis you are trying to control. With woodworking equipment you
probably won't have a nice cast iron surface to mount to so a clamp
would have to be rigged up. I have seen many 1" travel dial indicators
for sale in my area at swap meets and sometimes up to 6" of travel. With
a smaller travel you would have to reposition the indicator with the
tool locked in position for each cut but this would still control the
increment between slots quite accurately.

NOTE: keep the shaft of the indicator as straight as possible to the
axis of motion to avoid cosine error affecting your accuracy.

         Safe coiling and woodworking,

                   Phil Heslin