[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NST and GFI ?

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Reinhard Walter Buchner" <rw.buchner-at-verbund-dot-net>
>
> Hi Nick,
>
> Original Poster: "Megavolt Nick" <tesla-at-fieldfamily.prontoserve.co.uk>
> >I can't give you a reason but I can tell you GFI units
> >do not like coils.  At the industrial museum Brian&Mike
> >ran at the GFI breakers kept tripping all night, real pain
> >as they were at the other end of the building. That may
> >just have been beacuse they were having strike problems
> >to the supply transformer.
>
> Maybe. Seems kind of strange tho. My GFI doesn´t have
> any *real* electronics inside. And as you say they were on
> the other end of the building in your case, I doubt it is RF
> interference.

snip

Recently, I have been plugging the 120V for my NSTs into one of those
$20 APC SurgeArrest strips.  It has a 'Site Wiring Fault' light on it.
When the coil is powered on, the site fault light blinks.  Actually, it
brightens and dims anywhere from all the way off to all the way on.  It
appears the light gets brightest when the largest streamers are
produced.

So, do these strips look for leakage to ground for a wiring fault?  Or
something else?  Seems like it's related to the GFI questions recently.
Even if it's not, it's got me curious.

Explanations?

-Stan