[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Conducting through glass

I have discharged my Vandegraaff through cold 1/8 glass plate. The spark is
rather unusual. Maybe because of microwave oscillation? Glass might make an
interesting negative resistance oscillator, along the lines of a Gunn or
TRAPAT diode. Was it Edgerton that began his career by proving that
amorphous semiconductor (glass) would work? At any rate, it has a relatively
high loss tangent, and if you overheat it with reactive losses, it might
turn red hot and get even
worse!

Beer bottle-salt water caps won't suffer from this. So there is
avalanche breakdown, resistive/reactive loss, and high-temperature
electrolytic conduction to consider with glass. Maybe even hysterisis loss,
given its high E too.

Scott