[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Matching capacitor size to transformers

Hi All,

I have a bit more time now so I'll explain how I came up with this.

The energy stored in a capacitor just before the gap fires is:

	E = 1/2 C Vf^2  (joules)

Since the firing voltage should be SQRT(2) of the RMS transformer voltage:

	Vf = SQRT(2) Vo  (volts)

Also the power of the system is the capacitor energy multiplied by the
break rate:

	Pc = C Vo^2 BPS  (watts)

The power available from the transformer is it's rated voltage and current
less the power lost in protection filters (L):

	Pt = Vo Io - L  (watts)

These two powers must be equal:

	C Vo^2 BPS == Vo Io -L

Solving for C:

	C = ( Vo Io - L ) / ( BPS Vo^2 )  (farads)

When I compared this value for C to my coils, I found that there was a
consistent factor of 0.92  Therefore:

	C = 0.92 ( Vo Io - L ) / ( BPS Vo^2 )   (farads)

This is the capacitor size required for an LTR coil driven by a current
limited transformer running from a sync gap.  This is the largest known cap
a given transformer can charge properly.

I use this equation in MMCCalc2 to find a good cap size for a specific
transformer.  If the coil has a static gap or is  not as "refined" as a
good LTR coil a string or two less capacitance can be selected easily with
an MMC.  However, this equation does keep one from making the capacitor too
large to every be used.

Cheers,

	Terry