From: Tesla List [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2000 4:24 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Big Time Coil Problems...
Original Poster: "Malcolm Watts" <malcolm.watts-at-wnp.ac.nz>

Hi Paul,

> Original Poster: pmathus-at-learningco-dot-com
>
>      I could be wrong about this, but isn't mica lossy at RF frequencies,
>      and a poor choice for MMC use?  Terry can probably confirm or deny
>      this.  I think poly caps are what you want to be using. . . .

Mica caps are a poor choice for MMCs but only because they are
so horrendously expensive. RF-wise, they are an excellent choice.
What do all those old radios have in them??  I was lucky enough to
be given a box full of transmitting micas and two of them are still
going strong in a small coil I sold a year ago despite being thrashed
at their rated voltages.
        All my MMCs use polypropylene-foil caps.

Regards, Malcolm

snip...