[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 'Glow' discharge

Hello, Sarah.

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000 18:53:42 -0700 Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> writes:
> Original Poster: "Sarah Thompson" <sarah-at-telergy-dot-com>
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to the list. I've not yet built a TC, so I'll refrain from
> asking
> lame questions until such time as I'm half way through it and can't
> get it
> working. :)

Why not get any hazy issues over with before you end up having to rebuild
components and such?

<snip>

> The other experiment is a little weirder. What I'd like to be able
> to do is
> create an even 'glow' discharge around a spherical or dome shaped
> conductor,
> such that the air around the conductor gets ionised, but streamers
> or sparks
> are avoided. Is this even possible with a TC? If so, what kind of
> voltage
> would be necessary for a moderate sized dome or sphere? I'd guess
> that a
> pretty high voltage will be necessary, but avoiding arcing would
> seem to be
> the hardest bit.

Generally, to get a corona discharge as you discribe, one needs the
discharge to come from a sharp edge. A smooth terminal would probably
never do as you wish, though, if It were in a vacuum, in a plasma globe,
at low power you could probably get it to be coated in a purple glow.
Otherwise, in the usual atmosphere, you need a sphere completely covered
in sharp points...   ...maybe you could roll an adhesive-covered
styrofoam ball in course metal filings. That would probably work.

> Thanks in advance,
> Sarah Thompson

(Sarah, as in a fem coiler? you're a rarity. Good luck)

Grayson Dietrich
http://www.electrophile.8m-dot-com

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno-dot-com/get/tagj.