[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Toploads that bite--now MMC construction

Ed, Ruud, All,

The way I read Ruud's response, he gave a very comprehensive answer which
included
the "on" condition when the source is a high impedance to the discharge path.
I did
ask the question in reference to the "off" condition when there is a very
obvious discharge path thru the NST secondary, but Ruud's answer was
complete.

I built my MMC in a box with a 10 meg resistor across each of the 30 caps.
And I think that is redundant if you keep a bleeder across the MMC terminals.
 I used two perforated
Vector Boards, each 4.75 x 17 inches, to hold 15 caps each. The capacitor
leads go thru the holes very neatly where they can be soldered with the 10
meg resistor. The box is an
overall 5 x 5 x 18 inches. The top, bottom and back pieces are 1-inch pine.
The sides are
0.125 inch acrylic that are screwed into the wood.  The inside of the top and
bottom wood pieces have top and bottom slots saw-cut into them so the Vector
Boards, with the caps
in-place, can slide into the slots where they are securely held. I used 10 kV
test-prod wire to bring the rear connection to the MMCs to the front. The
front piece is 0.250
acryllic with 1/4 x 20 brass terminals. I cut pieces of threaded brass rod.
It is less
expensive than brass bolts and can be cut to size. The terminals give me 2 x
0.022 uF
-at- 30 kV ea, 0.011 uF -at- 60 kV or 0.044 uF -at- 30 kV. Now, if I could only figure
out why
my 1340 VA NST rig wont fill 0.022 uF to jump a 0.020 - inch gap?????

Happy Day,
Ralph Zekelman