[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

'Glow' discharge

Hi,

I'm new to the list. I've not yet built a TC, so I'll refrain from asking
lame questions until such time as I'm half way through it and can't get it
working. :)

The reason I want to make a TC is for the purpose of creating ionised gas
for experiments in MHD. Before I start figuring out how big a coil to make,
I was wondering if people out there can answer a couple of questions about
the kind of voltage levels that will be necessary.

One experiment I want to do is related to MHD power generation. I'd like to
be able to ionise the air moving along a non-conductive pipe, whilst also
causing a hefty current to flow across it (through the gas). The electrodes
need to be longitudinal with respect to the pipe, and maybe 1 - 2" apart and
parallel. If the theory works, it should be possible to blow gas through the
pipe and extract power from a coil wound around the pipe. I suspect that a
neon transformer on its own might be enough, but I'm willing to accept
advice on this.

The other experiment is a little weirder. What I'd like to be able to do is
create an even 'glow' discharge around a spherical or dome shaped conductor,
such that the air around the conductor gets ionised, but streamers or sparks
are avoided. Is this even possible with a TC? If so, what kind of voltage
would be necessary for a moderate sized dome or sphere? I'd guess that a
pretty high voltage will be necessary, but avoiding arcing would seem to be
the hardest bit.

Thanks in advance,
Sarah Thompson