[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Reducing Self Resonance In Rolled Caps

Hi Ruud, Bill,

Comments below.

> Original Poster: rdgraaf-at-ocenl.nl
> Hello Bill,
snip

> That's exactly the way I'am gone make my new cap's. I'am very
> confident about this approach. The current will (if cap is connected
> well) flow from both directions into the cap and will be almost
> immediate on the right spot, so the inductance will be defined by
> the lenght of the cap not by the length of te foil! I have a large
> amount of ldpe of 0.125 mm (5 mil) and I will put the rolls into PVC
> pipes and close them with massive metal discs with a screw-hole
> in the middle of it (I need still to determine where to get these
> complete and ready). I hope I do not have to use oil, by connecting
> them serial.

I hate to blow your dreams, but been there, done that => doesnīt
work for long. Building a rolled poly cap (whether it be extended
foil design or not) and getting it to run w/o oil WON`T work. Period.

I went through many experimental stages of this design (you might
want to search the archives) before I started designing (together
with Terry) the MMC and it just doesnīt work out very well. Youīll
be mighty surprised how far 7-15kV can creep along the surface
of a dielectric (PE in this case). It is many fold the distance it will
jump in free air. My advice: save your $$$ and jump on the MMC
bandwagon. I donīt think anyone who has, has been dissatisfied
with the results :o)) I will also agree (did some experimenting on
this too) with Gary that the difference in TC output between the
extended foil and *normal* design isnīt very high.... and the MMC
has all the commercial pulse cap design already built in, w/o that
huge price tag attached ;o))

dead rolled poly = heavy and messy doorstop
dead MMC = easy to repair

Coiler greets from Germany,
Reinhard