[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Reducing Self Resonance In Rolled Caps

Hi William,

> Original Poster: "William Parn" <parn-at-fgm-dot-com>
>

> I am still very new and learning, however here goes.
>
> I have heard a lot about rolling caps, however there also
> appears to be size limitation due to self resonating
> qualities of rolled caps.  Can we just roll them using
> extended foil design so as to prevent self resonance?
>
> What I mean here is to extend the foil out
> the top of one plate and then extend it out the bottom
> of the other plate.  Roll it up and then bring all
> the foil at the top together and make a connection
> then do the same at the bottom.
>
> Has this been tried?

Exactly the design I published in an article in 1995.

> If yes, What are the results?

Low series inductance and had the capacitor been run under oil,
very low resistive losses. Excellent discharge characteristics
nonetheless.

> Would this prevent self resonance?

No - it just pushes the resonant frequency way beyond
consideration.

All professionally built pulse discharge capacitors are built this way.

Regards,
Malcolm