[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Homebrew HV trannie

----- Original Message -----
From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2000 6:44 PM
Subject: Homebrew HV trannie

> Original Poster: "Grayson B Dietrich" <electrofire-at-juno-dot-com>
>
> Hello, All
>
> as long as the subject is up again, I'll ask this. Would the transformer
> cores from a large (250A) arc welder seem suitable for a rewind as HV
> transformers? I may be able to get my hands on a scrapped unit, with
> three very large such transformers in it. One has the variable core
> shunt, the other two don't have any mena of adjustment. But, there is a
> high/low current setting switch on it, so it may switch one or both of
> them in or out of circuit, I suppose.
>
> They seem rpime for a rewind, as the only thing holding on the "I"
> section of the E-I core are little strips of metal thinly welded on. A
> few minutes with an angle grinder will take care of it.
>
> I'm not sure what can wear out on an arc welder, but the people who have
> it tell me that it is unusable. Each core (E-I style) seems to have about
> a 16"^2 cross section. How many kVA could I push one too?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Grayson Dietrich
> http://www.electrophile.8m-dot-com

Hi,
 I have a 160 amp mig welder that was scrapped because of a bad transformer.
I may consider converting it for TC use if it doesn't seem like a huge deal
of trouble. It has a variable core which I think would be great for varying
the power to the TC. Where can I find info on building a transformer, such
as # of turns and wire guage, etc..

Thanks,
Jon