[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Damages to Electronic Equipment

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Damages to Electronic Equipment
> Date: Tuesday, February 15, 2000 11:48 PM
>
> Original Poster: "Max Erhard" <max.erhard-at-softhome-dot-net>
>
> How much does the risk of damage decrease if the coil is a long way away
> from any computers (a have a rather long garden). Can damaging
> interference propagate purely through the mains wiring, even if the
> house earth is not used.

yes... and in a particularly insidious way... The mains wiring can carry
the RF power with both conductors in parallel (as if the two wires were
connected together and act as one wire) with reference to external earth.
("Common mode" or in telco-speak: "longitudinal" )

This is why filters (and transient suppressors) need to go between Line and
Neutral AND between Line/Ground and Neutral/Ground.

> Tesla List wrote:
> >
> > Original Poster: Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> >         Very glad you computer is still around!
> >
> > I have blown a telephone answering machine (AT&T) about 20 feet away.
> > can set off a CO2 detector 25 feet away.  So the EMI off a Tesla coil
can
> > go far.  It does not matter if there are walls or floors in the way.
> >
> > When I run a lot of power, I remove ALL the wires from the computer so
it
> > is just a metal box.  Any wires leading into it are ways for nasty
signals
> > to get conducted to it.  All those long wires between things are very
> > likely to pick up RF so they need to be disconnected from anything your
> value.
> >
> > Find a very good ground for the Tesla coil.  This will insure that the
RF