[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capasitor match

<< Original Poster: "Bryan Miller" <ftbll-at-MailAndNews-dot-com>

> Hello everyone,
>       I am building my first capasitor.  I know you want to try to match
the
> capacitance of the capacitor with the transformer, but is it okay to go
over.
> Is there any advantages/disadvantages to haveing a larger capacitor?
Thanks
>for any help.

Bryan,

The matching concept applies only to current limited transformers
such as NST's and OBIT's.  It's best to use a capacitor that is larger
than the matched size  (LTR).  This reduces the voltage stresses on
the NST.

As an example, my latest coil, the TT-42, uses a 12/30 NST with
a 0.0147uF cap and a sync rotary gap, and gives 42" sparks max.

The coil can be seen at:

     http://members.aol-dot-com/FutureT/TT-42index.html

I presently building a small base for the coil which will make it portable.

Cheers,
John Freau