[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: multiple gap question

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Parpp807-at-aol-dot-com
>
> In a message dated 2/13/00 12:11:01 PM Central Standard Time,
> tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
>
> << try slotting >>
> Hi Scott,
> What you describe is basically what I did for the first try. See my post to
> Terry, Ed and Jim.
> I find that when I try to lock up all the screweys, nice thick brass 8-32,
> there is too much
> distortion of the gap setting, enuff to make it impossible to get closer than
> 5/1000. I'll

Hi Ralph ...

the opposed linear gap set is basically  a set of pipes on one base with
another set of pipes on another base set   the pipes are set about 1/2"
apart ( for easy cleaning)   but here is the neat part about it ...
the second set is placed on top of the first set ..  the pipes meet at
10 and 2 oclock instead of 9 and 3 with a single linear gap set

===================  <-- base 2
 O O O O O O O O O
  O O O O O O O O
===================  <-- base 1

the gap set is adjustable by moving base 1 and base 2 apart (oppositely
from each other)   and if you want to reduce the number of gaps that are
open  simply close down one end more than the other and the pipes on the
end contact each other ( altho the bases arent paralell any more and the
first few gaps are closer to each other than the end ones) but i really
dont see any harm there..

I use 1 screw per tube ( in the middle of the tube ) and when it is
tightened it causes that bowing to occur in the middle of the tube (
right where we want it ;)  )  which reduces the typical end sparking
seen in close set RQ gaps ( linear and circular)

i use the mounting screws ( end ones) on base 2 as the input / output to
the gap...

Scot D