[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Coil Grounding

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago.  There are a couple of
excellent grounds already in your house:

1.  If you do not have plastic (PCV, PBT, etc), the drain pipe is a
wonderful ground.

2.  If you have any 3 prong outlets, the third prong (e.g. safety ground)
is the same excellent ground as the drain pipe.  In many homes/apartments,
the screw that holds the face plate onto your outlet is grounded.  Before
using the safety ground as a ground, test the voltage between the safety
ground (third prong) and the prong on the right (hot).  It should be
110-120 volts.  By the same logic, the voltage between any grounded
appliance/object/terminal and the prong on the right should be 110-120
volts (e.g. between exposed metal on your refrigerator (remember paint is
an insulator) and the prong on the right).  You'll find that in the US a
substantial number of the outlets are miswired.

3.  Many appliances with exposed metal are required to be grounded;
refrigerators, electric ranges, washing machines, etc.