[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Homemade Trasformer

Yes, it will work, after a fashion.  There was someone on the list (or
perhaps the HV list) who made cores from iron filings (scrap from on a
machine shop) and glue or resin.

The packing density (how much iron cross section there is in a given core
cross sectional area) of flat laminations is higher than rods, but this is
mostly a physical size issue, of great concern to commercial manufacturers,
but not necessarily to you.

The larger core cross section area means the windings will be a bit longer
(in terms of feet of wire) than they would be on a nice compact rectangular
core, which will raise your IR losses slightly (again, probably not an
issue).

The physically larger size means that the leakage inductance (that part of
the field that doesn't go through both windings) will be slightly higher.
Again, not an issue for you.

Probably the most challenging thing will be finding suitable silicon steel
rods (i.e transformer iron).  Soft iron would work, but saturates at a
lower flux than steel. Silicon steel is nice and high resistance (reduces
eddy current losses).

Remember that you want the "magnetic circuit" to have the minimum air (or
non iron) gap possible. This is why the varnish on commercial transformers
is just thick enough to provide electrical insulation (for eddy currents).