[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 20 gauge wire

<<
> My experience has shown me that it is best to use as much of the primary
> coil as possible.  I tried using a larger cap, and an extra transformer,
> which required using less of the primary coil (6 turns, instead of all 10).
> This confiuration change alone did not give me any performance increase.

> When I added more topload and reset the tap to turn 10 however, I was back
> in business.

> -Adam

Adam,

The larger capacitor and extra transformer with fewer primary turns
should have given longer sparks.  Your spark gap may not have been
up to the task of handling the greater power, and this may have
given a false impression.  Although the losses will be higher when
using fewer turns.

Cheers,
John Freau