[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: multiple gap question

In a message dated 2/11/00 2:33:18 AM Central Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<<  Mine were gapped at about 0.03", I used a feeler gauge to verify that
 all segments were parallel to one another.  Are yours reasonably parallel? >>

Hi Gary,
What's "reasonably parallel?" That's part of my problem and I am wondering if
anyone has developed a particular technique for spacing the couplings? I have
mine mounted on 8-32 screws and fixed with nuts so I can adjust the vertical
height. They look like the olive on the end of a toothpick. :-))
The toothpicks...uh screws pass thru 1/4-inch thick acrylic with a slot cut
into it so the screws can slide horizontally. So I have horizontal and
vertical freedom of travel and adjustment. A nut and washer on top of the
plastic and under the coupling
enable the whole toothpick to be locked in place. Brilliant, huh? The big
flaw is that as soon as you tighten down on the lock nuts it changes the gap
settings. Lucky if I can
guesstimate within +/- 5/1000ths. I cut up a Tropicana OJ jug for shims to
help get a little more uniformity. Any suggestions---please? The sparks are
all off of the circular face.
None are seen to come from the cylinder walls. I have been able to set the
gap at
0.028 - 0.030. The mmc is at 0.011 uF. Not even a gap of 0.018-0.020 will
fill a 0.022 uF mmc.

Happy day,
Ralph Zekelman