[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Toploads that bite

Hi All,
          my comments:
> Original Poster: "Herwig Roscher" <herwig.roscher-at-gmx.de>
> As it comes to safety I don't trust "automatic" devices like spring
> loaded relays/switches. And I'm afraid of shorting caps with an
> unknown charge also.
> You might want to include a safety gap (with a series resistor) in
> parallel to the cap.The series resistor is essential in order not to
> exceed the maximum current of the cap in case of a flashover. If
Don't use a resistor - use a coil of 14guage wire - the resistor will not
handle the voltage or current unless you use a huge bank of power resistors.
> you placed this safety gap so that you can access it easliy, it's a
> perfect means to discharge the cap as well: Put a piece of copper
> tube attached to an insulating handle across it and leave it there
> until you want to operate the system.
I personally advocate discharge resistors (note I said 'discharge' not
'equalising') across all the caps, whether or not the cap is across the nst,
you never know if ther terminals have come adrift.  There are circumstances
were they aren't really necessary, eg. if the cap is not easily accessible.
 I would also say to people that they should *physically* connect the buss
bars with a clip lead while working on a tesla coil cap.

Regards
Nick Field