[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Several Questions

Hi Adam,

> Original Poster: Yurtle Turtle <yurtle_t-at-yahoo-dot-com>
>
> What is the "accepted" way to measure spark length to
> a grounded target: when a more or less constant spark
> is maintained, or when the target is occasionally hit
> but the spark wanders away from the target.

I personally quote a distance that the coil is demonstrably capable of
reaching, even if the occurence is quite low. Connected single
channel streamers are the ones I look for as they can easily be
photographed as evidence.

> It doesn't make that big a difference, but just to be
> accurate/consistant...
>
> Next, has anyone tried grounding an extra toroid for a
> target? If so, what were the results. If not and this
> is stupid, why?
>
> Should the grounded target be large or small.

I doesn't seem to make any difference. My coil hits anything from
parts of a lathe to old fencing wire hanging from the wall.

> Finally, has anyone played with different
> configurations on a breakout point, ie: longer or
> shorter, thicker or thinner, with a point or with a
> brass ball, etc.

I haven't bothered with those much except to help promote breakout
at low energy (less hard on the cap and gap).

Regards,
Malcolm