[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 20 gauge wire

>> Generally speaking is 20 gauge wire to heavy for secondary use on a
>> 12000v 60 ma system? I hope not, because I come across a lot of it for
>> free.
>>
>> Leslie
>
> Hi Leslie,
> 20 guage is about right - the trend is away from very fine
> sec. wire as the older texts tend to reccommend.
>
> Good Luck
> Nick Field

I'm trying to determine the best size wire experimentally.

All the coil data I've collected is leading me in the opposite direction
from what Nick has suggested above. I wound my 8" secondary with 20 AWG, but
I'm now making a new 22 AWG secondary in hopes of improving performance. My
database of other coilers' results shows that those getting the best
performance in my power class have high inductance secondaries wound with
#22-#25.

-Adam
adamsmith-at-mediaone-dot-net