[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Primary-Secondary spacing

Hi Chris, All,
                    my comments:

> > Original Poster: "Christopher Boden"
> <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>
> > Drill a hole through the base of the secondary
> and glue a nylon nut inside.
> > Thread the nylon rod through the hole and have a
> small stepper motor on the
> > bottom of the shaft under the table. Coupleing
> could be adjusted in realtime
> > while the system is running and with the
> operator across the room.
> >
> > Is this a dumb idea?

Not, dumb, but needs work

> > Why?

For starters you'll need a few more pieces of nylon stock to stop the sec
spinning rather than going up and down.  Also a normal dc motor on a gear
train would be a better idea than a stepper motor which won't have enough
travel to do the job.

> > The only problem I can see is the whole phrase
> "Drill a hole in the bottom
> > of the secondary" at which point I can hear 200
> quiet moans from across the
> > modem connection :)

Nothing wrong with that, but you shouldn't run any electrical connections
through the hole.

I'd go with pneumatics myself, they aren't gonna get hit by the coil and
conduct the full voltage back to the control box. On my big coil I've
deliberately left space for some pneumatic rams to lift the sec. up and
down.

Regards
Nick Field