[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RE Arcs off the fingers and getting killed in the process...

Well, I guess I had better get in on this while the band wagon still has
wheels.
When I had made my first coil in high school I knew right away that the thing
was dangerous, loud, and "cool." The next thing was to build a bigger one
fast.
This is the start of folly. Seeing that I had power over this first coil made
my
fear level drop down some and gave me lot's of chances not to listen to the
wise electronics teacher. Well, burning up my first 10 amp variac was painful
to my thin wallet ($8 for a new one, high school price)! and made me buckle
down and do all the math. So much for working "fast" on this TC. Long story
short...it worked great after lots of non short-cut work.
As to getting on a metal plate that has been sprayed with salt water to "help
your body conduct" and have sparks fly off my nerve endings...No, I never had
the urge, but seeing  A. Richards in his Faraday suit made me think of making
one and trying it. But since my high school days are long gone and near death
shocks have hit me from my own power pole, (was floating a .003 inch wire with
a balloon as an antenna) I think seven times with the radio "OFF" before
energizing
anything in my garage. Nathan Ball said it very well when he said to learn
from others mistakes rather than your own. It's less expensive. Also if I can
help any
by stating this "READ a ton, before you start DOING. It can save your life.
That's
why we can thank this list and it's workers for information dissemination.
Very safe coiling to you all.
Denis Despins
KC6TRW