[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Arcs off the fingers and getting killed in the process...

Hi all

I have been thinking about this a bunch lately.  I think one of the problems
concerning inexperienced high-power coilers is that if they don't have
enough background in the subject, they can't envision what might go wrong.
It may not occur to them to discharge the cap before they touch it, or if it
isn't making any sort of sparks, go up and adjust something without thinking
about it being switched on.

Plus, on the litigation issue, there are PLENTY of things people do that
harm them, even WITH proper warnings and notification.  Drinking and smoking
are obviously very bad for you in many ways. Yet the only restrictions on
them are age limits and limits for blood-alcohol content if you're driving.

People still do those things, informed and misinformed. Yet so many people
depend on those industries for their livelihood, it has taken many many
years before any of it has come to court, only recently with the tobacco
issue.

People on this very list depend on coiling for their livelihood as well, but
I think that the knowledge on coil building and the risks it entails pales
in comparison to the amount of people harmed every year by drinking and
smoking.

There are many other things on the internet and around the world whose good
parts are advertised heavily and the drawbacks and risks somehow
"forgotten".  Sex is the biggest, in movies and such.  Bombs, "extreme"
sports and others follow closely.

Many people would like to put laws and restrictions all over many other
activities that are similar in risk to coiling.  But there are too many to
really prosecute.

I think the best things we can do are, as has already been mentioned: a
standardized disclaimer approved by a legal consultant, and heavy
encouragement of writing to this very list.  No warnings from any site can
compare to the direct contact with the supportive, knowledgeable people on
this discussion list.

thump! off the soapbox

Best regards,
Nathan