[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Home Made Variac

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Michael Novak" <Acmnovak-at-execpc-dot-com>
>

>      I can't afford to buy a variac but I need some way to vary the line
> voltage... So, I decided to build one. I'm pretty sure I can get my hands on
> some 10 guage magnet wire, however, I still need to find a suitable core.
Isn't
> a variac basically a bifliar-wound 1:1 turns ratio transformer? If so, does
> anyone have some sort of formulas on the subject?  What would be the
> disadvantages of having a core which is not laminated such as the kind
found in
> transformers?
> Any thoughts?
>                                                             -Michael

I'm sure you could do it i think of that befor i find 2 *15 amp variac
at good
price ,you probably can find some iron sheat iron in your community
(metal shop)
you need silicon steel.May be someone on the list can give you de
dimention of the
core for the power you need and dont forget to varnish your sheat metal
befor you
role it ("eddy current "or some ting like this).

Luc Benard
P.S.Excuse my english.