[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: avoid getting killed in the process...

All, especially newbies,

Safety should always be the highest priority, and it must take priority over
esthetics.  Nothing beats actually unpluging a power connector for safety.
Power switches on controller panels may look better and be more convenient,
but nothing  beats a physical disconnect and a visual verification that
power is really removed.   Switches and relays can fail and result in injury
or death.   So go ahead and install a power connector and a short power cord
and plug on your controller panel in addition to internal switches, relays,
etc.  And
take the effort to UNPLUG it every time you work on or adjust your coil.

The other safety tip is to not trust your caps to discharge through your gap
or  through
resistors.  Rather, physically short out the cap and leave it shorted while
you are working with your primary, gap, etc.  If you are messing with a MMC,
then take the time to short each individual cap just in case a bleeder
resistor has opened.

Think safety - you are not immune to death!

--Steve