[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

UL Tesla Coil

Hi all....time for a funny story.

Here at Tandy we have a Regulatory dept that makes sure that the products
using AC that you all buy at your local RadioShack, are safely made.

I had a chance to speak with the head of the dept yesterday and mentioned to
him that I was building a TC. I jokingly said "Can I get it UL Approved."

He said that UL doesn't approve anything. They "list" instead.
And..he went on..they check and list the comments that make up the device,
not the application. He said that UL once listed an electric chair! They
basically said that they made sure the operator wasn't going to get zapped
because of faulty components at his end of the configuration...not the other
end <smirk>

So, folks, with that in mind, make sure your NSTs are UL listed for
openers...pigs too. An RFI boxes etc. Then apply for a listing if you will
as a manufacturer. Oh, and BTW, an official check and listing process costs
a mere $6000-$10000 depending upon the complexity of the item.

But did I get an education or what!

Safety to us all!

Ted