[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Cheap Variac Substitute?/ vs Expensive.

On Wed, 02 Feb 2000 05:27:58 -0700, Tesla List wrote:

>  Original Poster: "Dr. Resonance" <Dr.Resonance-at-next-wave-dot-net>
>

>  Solid state control of TC's with such devices is perhaps not the best
>  recommendation.  Central problem is that when the solid state device
fails
>  it goes to full on conduction and you loose all control.  This doesn't
>  happen with a variac so they usually represent better safety even though
>  they are a bit bulkier.
>
>  Dr. Resonance

I recently purchased 4  MONITOR ISO-V-AC III model WP 32 isolated power
supplies that go to 150 volts-at- 10 Amps. These can function as variacs as I
can turn the voltage up from 0 to 150 with a dial. I have several questions
regarding operation. Do all variacs represent an isolated power supply? Is
there an advantage to using such a supply
to a NST primary and does this consist of a means of protection against RF
kickback such that only a safety gap should then be needed
as protection to NST damage on secondary? Could I put all 4 in series to get
600 volts, or would there be any problems with having to simultaneously turn
up the voltage on each device? Below the amperage meter is a leakage button
and the meter has corresponding leakage amounts at the rate of 2.5 ma per 10
amp output. What does that mean?
Does it indicate the loss of effiency involved in the transformer?
Thanx for any answers to these many questions.
HDN
Binary Resonant System
http://www.insidetheweb-dot-com/mbs.cgi/mb124201

Visit http://freeworld.excite-dot-com